Job Opening: Custodian
Job Title: Custodian
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Reports to: Athenaeum Director
The Custodian performs janitorial duties, maintenance support, snow removal, and grounds work. Knowledge of and experience with historic structures preferred. Position requires demonstrated experience and abilities in custodial work, wood and marmoleum floor maintenance, painting, buildings and ground maintenance. Custodian will uphold the highest standards of work for a National Historic Landmark building and its exterior landscape.
30 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 6:00 am-12:30 pm.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor building upon entry and contact Director or designated contractors regarding problems.
- Coordinate with contractors doing on-site work as needed.
- Clear all entrances and walkways of snow as needed.
- Mow grass, remove debris from grounds as needed. Maintain flower beds.
- Clean, disinfect and re-supply four bathrooms.
- Vacuum all carpets, vacuum or mop all wood and marmoleum floors. Maintain floors properly.
- Vacuum or mop all 1st floor offices, basement office, staff room, and hallways.
- Clean main entrance glass doors.
- Remove all trash and recycling.
- Polish furniture and woodwork throughout building.
- Check lights and replace bulbs as needed.
- Keep custodian’s area orderly.
- Recommend special projects to Director and coordinate scheduling.
- Participate in dusting art work.
- Attend all Building Committee meetings.
- Maintain on-line Building Maintenance Report.
Qualifications and Skills Required: Demonstrated high quality custodial, painting, floor and grounds work at a similar institution. Ability to work independently and safely with minimal supervision.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Required Education and Experience: High School diploma, Bachelor’s degree preferred. Work at a similar institution for three years or more.
Application Process: Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Athenaeum Director Robert Joly at email@example.com with Custodian Application as the subject line. No phone calls or paper applications. Open until filled. We conduct criminal background checks on all new hires. The St. Johnsbury Athenaeum is an equal opportunity employer, and will not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.