Librarian Position Description
St. Johnsbury Athenaeum
Position Description: Librarian
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Reports to: Athenaeum Director
The Librarian collaborates with other members of the Library Services Team to bring high quality information services, programs, and technology support to patrons of the Athenaeum. The Library Services Team consists of: the Coordinator of Library Services, the Youth Services Librarian, two part-time Librarians, and the Library Associate. Volunteers are also integral in providing library services.
This is a 40 hour per week position which includes two evenings per week until 7:00 pm and every Saturday 9:00-3:00. Open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Significant responsibility for the Inter-library loan program
· Collection development tasks: selecting, ordering, cataloging, and weeding of adult materials
· Reference, circulation and technical assistance services to patrons
· Training of volunteers
· Co-creation of publicity for library programs and services
· Active participation in staff and Library Committee meetings
· Contribution to Athenaeum library practices, programs and strategic planning
· Ability to work effectively with children, and teens, as well as adults
· Enthusiasm for working with other librarians and organizations such as VTDOL, GMLC and VLA
· Other germane tasks as assigned by the Athenaeum Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Required Education and Experience:
MLS or MLIS preferred. Candidates with a Bachelor's Degree, VT Department of Libraries Certification and at least three full years of library experience, or the equivalent thereof are encouraged to apply.
The ideal person will bring these traits and skills:
Enthusiasm for the wonders a library offers, personal openness and honesty
Full familiarity with KOHA, CLOVER, and inter-library loan practices
Thorough knowledge of other current library practices
Ability to work efficiently and effectively alone and in small groups
Fluent technology skills using Microsoft Office
Social media skills, and an understanding of the pitfalls of all forms of social media
Excellent organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Athenaeum Director Robert Joly at firstname.lastname@example.org with Librarian Application as the subject line. We conduct criminal background checks on all new hires. The St. Johnsbury Athenaeum is an equal opportunity employer, and will not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.