Job Title: Custodian
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Reports to: Athenaeum Director
The Custodian performs cleaning duties, maintenance support, event setup and take down, snow removal, and grounds work. Position requires demonstrated experience in wood and floor maintenance, and building and grounds maintenance. Custodian will uphold the standards of work appropriate for this National Historic Landmark building.
30 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 6:00 am-12:30 pm.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean and supply designated building areas (dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning ceiling vents, cleaning glass doors, restroom cleaning)
- Carry out heavy cleaning tasks and special projects
- Remove all trash and recycling, replace light bulbs, maintain custodian’s area
- Mow grass, remove debris from grounds, maintain flower beds
- Clear all entrances and walkways of snow
- Notify Athenaeum Director of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs
- Perform and document routine inspection and maintenance activities
- Respond to building alarms after hours and contact appropriate person to resolve issues
- Coordinate with contractors doing on-site work as needed
- Attend Building Committee meetings
- Maintain on-line Building Maintenance Report
- Follow all health and safety regulations
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Pride in workmanship. Honesty, dependability and a good nature. Ability to work on a step ladder and staging. Ability to handle floor buffer, knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies. Familiarity with Material Safety Data Sheets. Ability to work independently and safely with minimal supervision. Ability to work collegially within a small group. Familiarity with trades work, including painting, is desirable.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Required Education and Experience: High School diploma. Associate’s or trade school degree desirable. Demonstrated experience at a similar institution for a minimum of three years.
Application Process: Send a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Athenaeum Director Bob Joly at firstname.lastname@example.org with Custodian Application in the subject line. No phone calls or paper applications. Open until filled. We conduct criminal background checks on all new hires. The St. Johnsbury Athenaeum is an equal opportunity employer, and will not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.