KOHA Quick Reference
- New features when you search our catalog, including reading Amazon.com reviews and the option to purchase books from Amazon directly from the catalog.
- Ability to customize your account and change your setting
- Place holds on books yourself.
- Save your reading history. Did I read that book? Now you’ll know the answer.
- Create book lists to remind you of books you want to read (the Cart) or view public lists.
- Save on fines by renewing your books.
- Receive automatic emails to let you know when your items are due and that your holds are waiting. Just call and give us your email address.
ID and Password
- Your ID is one of two formats: the five digits after 000 on your library card. For example, if your library card is 2VSPY00011210$, your ID is library card number.
- Your password is your last name and it is case-sensitive.
- Yours is ID ________ Password: _______
- Login is seen in the upper right corner of the search screen. See below.
- After you log into your account, click on “My Summary”. You will see the list of books that you have checked out. There is a renew column to the right that will indicate if the book is renewable. Check the box and renew the selected items or renew all items as indicated.
Searching the Catalog
1. Visit http://stjathenaeum.kohavt.org or click the Search our Library button on our website at www.stjathenaeum.org.
2. Select Title or Author from the Search drop-down list. If you don’t select either one of these choices, you will automaticallysearch by Keyword and may get unexpected results.
3. Enter the search text and click Go.
4. If the search results are large, look for page number icons at the bottom of the list.
Refining a Search
- To narrow an author search – click the desired author’s name on the left under Authors.
- To see only titles that are currently available (not checked out) click Currently available items on the left under Availability.
- If you want to see when the item is due, click the item’s link, find the row for St. Johnsbury Athenaeum and look at the date in the Date Due column.
- Click a book cover or the book title to view detailed information about the item. Click the book cover again to Look Inside the item at amazon.com.
To Place a Hold
- When you find your item in the catalog, click on the title. The next page will list the various holdings at the different libraries. Find our library to determine if out copy is available or checked out. On the right click on the “Place hold” icon. Choose a specific copy, then follow the list until you find the St. Johnsbury Athenaeum’s copy and choose that option. Click on the “Place Hold” bar at the bottom of the page to confirm the hold. We are currently not set up to hold other library copies.
- When the item is returned and the library staff has prepared your item, you will be notified by email or phone to pick up your hold. The hold will remain in place for 7 days.
- The Cart is a holding place for items that you may want to refer to later.
- While doing a search, if you want to save information about one or more items, click the check box next to the entry. Open the drop-down list next to Save and select Cart. Click Save.
- To view your cart, click Cart at the top of the search results list.
- To print the contents of your Cart, click Print in the Cart window.
- To email the contents of your Cart, click Send in the Cart window, enter an email address and click Send.
- To view a more detailed description of items in your Cart, click More Details.
- To delete items from your Cart, place a check next to the desired items and click Remove.
- Click the KOHA logo on any page to return to the catalog home page.
- Please contact us at any time with your questions.
- Remember you can search our catalog 24/7 on the web.